Monday, October 6, 2008

More Lessons from Cherubs...er, Sinners!

This morning's sermon was on sin. We are all born sinners (thanks, Adam and Eve). The sin nature is part of who we are, and we operate out of it until, in God's unexplainable grace, He draws us to Himself. And then, through the blood of Jesus we are redeemed ('purchased' back), and given a new nature. The Holy Spirit begins to live within us. We desire to become like Christ--we long to crucify the sinful habits, thoughts, and feelings that have been part of us. We cry out to be holy.

All of this is absolute truth in my book. I have seen it lived out in my life and the lives of those around me. But I was thinking this morning about the way our culture has lost its sense of sin. About the increasing number of people who believe that mankind is inherently good--rather than sinful. ...And I'm thinking they have not spent much time around small children.

I volunteered for nursery duty at church tonight. Three little girls, under age 2, were in my charge. In the hour we spent together, I heard "Mine!" and "NO!" more frequently than any other words. And, my chief occupation (other than giving hugs and wiping noses) was to encourage turn taking and sharing--neither of which comes naturally to any small child I have ever known. I've never met an 'inherently good' child. I've met a lot of little cherubs who are cute and funny...and who want their own way. I've met many who are cuddly and giggly...and selfish. They grab each other's toys. They wail when they don't get what they want--which is inevitably what the one next to them has. They push and hit and bite. And I have serious doubts that their parents are spending time teaching them these things :). Instead, they're born with this inside them. Sinners, every one.

Maybe the proponents of the 'mankind is basically good' belief should hang out awhile with some infants and toddlers. Experience human nature at its outset...and then see what they believe. As for me, I'm holding to the truth of the sin nature. And knowing that unless God breaks through, these little sinners will grow up to be the same as adults.... Oh, Precious Father, have mercy and grace on us all!

1 comment:

todd said...

..funny b/c sofia recently learned the word "mine" and says it with a full smile of contentment!