I've always wanted to work road construction. You know, endless opportunities to smile and wave at people, a chance to learn a completely different line of work, the satisfaction of physically challenging my body...and of course, there's the perk of a good tan. Somehow I've not yet managed to get myself gainfully employed with the road department, but an experience yesterday provided me with nearly all the same benefits--and more!
I was the least likely granddaughter...or a close runner-up. I'm afraid of heights. Swinging hammers usually end up connected to my fingernails. I don't climb ladders well (up or down). I was completely inexperienced. My brothers are convinced that 'manual labor' is not a part of my composition. And yet, one of them started it all!
It was the weekend to shingle Grandpa and Grandma's roof. I'd watched the emails fly between kids and grandkids. I knew the need, and I knew (or thought I knew) that I could not be of measurable assistance. I stopped by anyway...to check progress, harass the help :), and chat with Grandpa and Gram. Somewhere in the process, Uncle Dennis wandered in and let me know that I could assist on the ground--picking up the refuse from the roof. Not bad--I could handle that. With the ground cleaned up, I took another look up, and found myself being harassed...for preparing to leave. Imagine my surprise when I asked if I could truly be of help and was informed (by my brother) that I could pull nails.
Hmm...pull nails. It necessitated getting on the roof, but it also meant an opportunity to bless Grandpa and Gram, try something new, and be with 'the guys'. So, up I went...with said brother at the top to hold my hand as I climbed over. A hammer was given to me, I had a quick lesson in which nails to pull, and I suddenly found myself working on the roof! Certainly not how I had planned to spend my Saturday, but what's life without a little unexpected excitement?!
Not many hours later, I had learned not only how to pull nails and rip off tar paper, but also how very much I like to sweep--to remove the slick gravel remnants off the roof, ensuring stability for my feet! I also learned how to use a cap gun (though the guys seemed to think they needed to run the 'power tools' more than me), chalk a line, and lay shingles. More importantly, I helped! No one was probably more surprised than me...at my ability to actually provide benefit to the project.
Learning, adventure, conquering a fear (at least for the day), physical exercise, and a good tan aside, the highlight for me was working with 'the guys'. Uncles, brothers, cousins--men who I don't usually have the opportunity to spend a lot of time with--were stuck on the roof with me...for several hours! The whole 'male bonding' thing is still a bit of a mystery, as they don't talk nearly as much as a bunch of women would have, but we got work done! And, there was occasional conversation, some laughter, and a lot of patience (with me).
This morning, as my quads screamed with soreness, I thanked God for the pain. It was earned! A Saturday well spent--shingling. And who knows, someday maybe I'll get to try it again :)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment