Jackson Hole, WY--Be careful when playing with boys. I'm sure Mom must have issued that warning at some point in my life, too bad I didn't remember to heed it. We're in the midst of our first Lipp Family Vacation--as grown-ups. For the occasion, we've all trekked back out to a place our family often visited when were kids--Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Today's agenda included a stop at one of our favorite area locales. A place which I believed (thanks, Dad and Mom :)) was named after me until at least age 10...Jenny Lake.The awesome beauty of craggy mountains jutting up alongside pristine azure water, and the variegated greens of forest trees aside, the joy of Jenny Lake has always been in the wading. As children, we would pull off socks and shoes and gingerly stick our little feet in the cool water. Gradually becoming brave enough to wade in, feeling the smooth, slippery rocks under foot. Today, the combination of wind, cool temps, and overcast sky caused us all to keep our shoes on. But it didn't dim the fun! Skipping stones, climbing on rocks, and walking out on a partially submerged log occupied the little and the big. It was the latter that got me into trouble.
My brothers, affectionately known as 'the boys', were having a contest. The log lay across the sand and sloped down into the water. The last few feet were submerged. The contest consisted of seeing who could walk out on the log the farthest without falling in. And the rule was that they couldn't harass each other--allowing for undivided concentration on the part of the contestant. When I arrived at the scene, camera in hand, Dave was just making his way out. Mr. Former Marine was a study in concentration, making it nearly to the place where the water lapped at the end of the log. He tottered, balanced, and made it back as rocks were chucked in beside him. Victory! He was the last to go, so the boys turned to me. How could a big sister pass up an opportunity to try to best her brothers?
I made it out past the dry patch and onto the slick, wetness that was still unsubmerged. Tottering, I knew I could go no further. I turned to Joel who was holding my camera ready for the requisite photo. Snap, snap and I started back, just as Dave began to tell me a joke.... And then I slipped and hit the water...or the rocks--I'm not sure which came first. Cold mountain water soaked through my socks and jeans and lapped up my left, submerged side. I came up laughing, to Dave's hand and the family gathered around to watch "Aunt Jen" clamber out--wringing wet.
Even as kids none of us had ever fallen in. It took an "adult" game--and a big sister's desire to do better than 'the boys'. What's the old saying? Pride goes before a fall :).... I'm a wet testimony to its truth tonight...and the uncontested highlight of the day for us all :)!

No comments:
Post a Comment