Monday, September 8, 2008

Not Alone

They've always been special to me. I can talk to God anywhere; He's ever with me. But in the mountains...somehow...someway...He has always seemed nearer. And so the 'tall places' of the world that I have visited--whether in Colorado, Switzerland, Tennessee, Romania, or Wyoming--have always been special. This time was no different.

It was our last day. I was out in the dim light of the rising sun. The stars were twinkling their goodbyes as they faded into pale blue sky. The air was crisp with the chill of the early morning, and the mountainside was silent. All was quiet as the day began. I was talking to God--reveling in the joy of communion with Him, worshiping His awesome Being, and thanking Him for the amazing gift of this week with my family in Jackson Hole.

And then it hit me. The reason why it felt--and was--so perfect. I was away from 'home'--which is where I generally seem to be--and yet my family was with me! I'm almost always gone...but alone. This time I found myself outside of Nebraska, and yet surrounded by my whole family! I closed my eyes, smiled, and face to the sky--drunk deeply of the moment.

Life was perfect--I was away...but we were together--if only for a week. What a gift from my Father.

No comments: